From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: danarmak@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:17:25
1 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 05:04, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > A real separate cvs branch seems like a lot of extra work; most updates going
3 > into the stable branch will probably also go into the main tree. What am I
4 > missing?
5
6 I would think the better way would be a separate CVS branch in which
7 only specific ebuilds are added. I tend to look at the "stable" tree as
8 a separate entity from the "regular" portage tree.
9
10 > About keyword naming, I agree with Stuart's note elsewhere in the thread that
11 > 'stable' is misleading. I also want to ask how the transition of
12 > arch-->~stable:arch-->stable:arch is different from the existing transition
13 > of ~arch-->arch.
14
15 I see no point in implementing *any* new keywords. In fact, I could see
16 instead *removing* the ~arch from the "stable" branch and keeping arch
17 only. After all, we should not be adding any "testing" ebuilds to the
18 stable tree.
19
20 I like the idea of having the stable tree be separate from the updates.
21 In fact, I pretty much see this as a requirement. The updates tree
22 *could* use ~arch, especially in the case of new exploits which require
23 new package versions from the upstream authors to resolve.
24
25 Also, can we drop the idea of "stable"? It does not fit the audience
26 that it seems we're shooting for at all. I would think "enterprise" is
27 much more fitting, as suggested by others before myself.
28
29 > If it isn't different and it's just a matter of the package being more and
30 > more tested and used and proven without known (unfixed) bugs/vulnerabilites,
31 > I don't think it's appropriate to create keywords by adding several modifiers
32 > to an arch's name (~ and stable). We're not really combining the properties
33 > of ~ and 'stable', and might as well assign stability levels with keywords
34 > like 0:x86 for ~x86, ..., 3:x86 for stable:x86.
35 >
36 > Or, what is the difference? The GLEP doesn't actually explain the meaning of
37 > 'stable' marking - the uncertainty Stuart refers to.
38
39 This is the initial proposal for the GLEP mainly to get comments and to
40 get the ball rolling from our developers and the community. As I see
41 it, pretty much anything in the GLEP is subject to change.
42
43 > One possible distinction is: stable status is given to a package that is
44 > widely enough used and respected in the big bad world and has no known bugs,
45 > as opposed to a package that's in portage for a month and has no bugs but
46 > hasn't actually seen much use or been a target for attempted attacks. The
47 > latter would never move beyond a regular arch keyword.
48 > Some ebuilds might perhaps never be considered for the stable tree at all
49 > because the target audience demonstrably isn't interested in them (based also
50 > on actual usage data after the tree is up).
51
52 I agree with this completely. I see no reason at all for things such as
53 games to be added to the enterprise Gentoo. If a user really wants
54 them, they can grab the ebuild from the "regular" portage tree and add
55 it to their overlay. I would see enterprise Gentoo as a stable
56 platform for use in commercial environments, and by users which value
57 stability over the most current packages. This would allow Gentoo to
58 fit a much larger audience, especially since our "Enterprise" version
59 would still be free for all to use.
60
61 > Both these are an RFC more than a suggestion; I want to understand the GLEP's
62 > idea, not propose an alternative of my own.
65 Chris Gianelloni
66 Developer, Gentoo Linux
67 Games Team
68