From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: danarmak@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:52:14
1 On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:58:19AM -0500 or thereabouts, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Also, can we drop the idea of "stable"? It does not fit the audience
3 > that it seems we're shooting for at all. I would think "enterprise" is
4 > much more fitting, as suggested by others before myself.
5
6 In general, I try to avoid solutions that are too specific because they
7 tend to be the ones that get lost in the shuffle or go unmaintained after
8 one or two iterations.
9
10 I also hope that the stable tree *will* eventually turn into something akin
11 to Debian Stable (although updated more frequently) or FreeBSD-stable.
12 That's up to the QA team, though.
13
14 I'd like to keep the name stable if possible for the two reasons above.
15 If folks really want a name change, I'd prefer something non-specific like
16 'fixed' which I think pauldv suggested earlier.
17
18 > This is the initial proposal for the GLEP mainly to get comments and to
19 > get the ball rolling from our developers and the community. As I see
20 > it, pretty much anything in the GLEP is subject to change.
21
22 Yep.
23
24 > I agree with this completely. I see no reason at all for things such as
25 > games to be added to the enterprise Gentoo. If a user really wants
26 > them, they can grab the ebuild from the "regular" portage tree and add
27 > it to their overlay. I would see enterprise Gentoo as a stable
28 > platform for use in commercial environments, and by users which value
29 > stability over the most current packages. This would allow Gentoo to
30 > fit a much larger audience, especially since our "Enterprise" version
31 > would still be free for all to use.
32
33 I don't want to get in the business of defining what shouldn't be in this
34 tree. While *I'm* proposing it for use by enterprise users, if we can
35 reasonably accomodate other types of users, then I think we should. While
36 adding games may not make sense for enterprise users, maybe there are other
37 uses for it where it does make sense. It doesn't really cost us anything
38 to keep that ability in there, so why remove it?
39
40 --kurt