From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:22:24
1 On 5/4/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:44 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > From a SCM point of view, arches are a subset of the full Gentoo
4 > > tree. They would fit very well into a branching model - and
5 > > Subversion's support for branching would make it a breeze for us to
6 > > support without overloading the arch teams.
7 >
8 > Are you kidding me? What about people that commit for multiple arches?
9 > They're now going to have to do the same commit over $x number of trees?
10 > How exactly will that not overload the arch teams?
11
12 Talking about an SVN perspective ... provided the trees live in a
13 single repository (which would make a lot of sense), it would be very
14 straightforward to provide a tool to copy a particular ebuild & its
15 files from an unstable tree simultaneously to the other trees. The
16 difficulties with such a tool would be taking over the right files/
17 contents (something which is solveable), and what to do about signing
18 (where a distribtued system like Git probably makes much more sense
19 anyway).
20
21 Given such a tool, you could promote a version of a package to any
22 number of per-arch trees at the same time.
23
24 > The more I hear about all of these great features of qall of these
25 > alternative SCM's, the more I think that somebody just has a hard-on for
26 > getting rid of CVS and plans on doing it, no matter the cost to
27 > efficiency and other developers.
28
29 What we're talking about here is a step in the development cycle
30 commonly called 'integration', where something's taken from the
31 development bucket, put into the 'release' bucket, and tested to
32 ensure that it plays nice with everything else already in the
33 'release' bucket. It should be listed in RUP, CMM, or whatever
34 development methodology you use locally in your day job.
35
36 Adopting this approach would be far more painful with CVS than with
37 (say) subversion. Branch management in subversion is infinitely
38 easier than with CVS.
39
40 Best regards,
41 Stu