From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:03:40
1 On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:44 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > From a SCM point of view, arches are a subset of the full Gentoo
3 > tree. They would fit very well into a branching model - and
4 > Subversion's support for branching would make it a breeze for us to
5 > support without overloading the arch teams.
6
7 Are you kidding me? What about people that commit for multiple arches?
8 They're now going to have to do the same commit over $x number of trees?
9 How exactly will that not overload the arch teams?
10
11 The more I hear about all of these great features of qall of these
12 alternative SCM's, the more I think that somebody just has a hard-on for
13 getting rid of CVS and plans on doing it, no matter the cost to
14 efficiency and other developers. No, I'm pointing to anyone in
15 particular. It just seems that everyone wants to blame CVS for our
16 problems, when our problems are almost entirely cultural.
17
18 Seriously, if I were forced to commit to multiple trees, or branches, or
19 whatever, I'd simply leave the project since it would be such an
20 enormous waste of time. I'm sure lots of others feel the same. Our
21 version control system is supposed to be a tool to help us get our work
22 done, not a hindrance.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 x86 Architecture Team