From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 10:49:36
1 Quoting Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@×××××.com>:
2
3 >> Does it? How does having a stable and unstable branch differ from
4 >> having stable and unstable keywords?
5 >
6 > Agreed. That doesn't make sense.
7
8 It does if you have a separate stable tree per-arch. With the current
9 tree design, it's too easy to break an arch that you've no intention
10 of affecting.
11
12 However, if you have a separate tree per-arch, that tree can be tested
13 and approved for release as a single unit.
14
15 From a SCM point of view, arches are a subset of the full Gentoo
16 tree. They would fit very well into a branching model - and
17 Subversion's support for branching would make it a breeze for us to
18 support without overloading the arch teams.
19
20 > If you want central control of what's happening in the repository,
21 > Subversion seems like the way to go.
22
23 Better to fix the design of the repository, so that it can't be broken
24 in the first place, than to try putting band-aids in place to cover
25 the gaps.
26
27 > I don't think so. You really rarely do a complete checkout.
28
29 I'd be interested to see some stats from our CVS logs to back that up.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Stu
33 --
34 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
35 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
36 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
37
38 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
39 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
44 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list