From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 09:06:58
1 > > Having a live tree requires people to be perfect. People are not
2 > > perfect and requiring it is ridiculous. I love having commits in my
3 > > local tree within the hour, but having a stable and unstable branch
4 > > makes a lot of sense.
5 >
6 > Does it? How does having a stable and unstable branch differ from
7 > having stable and unstable keywords?
8
9 Agreed. That doesn't make sense.
10
11 Subversion has what is known as pre-commit hooks.
12 Using those it's very easy to:
13 * prevent (most or some) committers from designating ebuilds as stable
14 * allow committers to designate ebuilds as stable under a certain path only
15 * strictly limit a commiters access to a part of the tree
16
17 Slightly harder, but could be done too:
18 * deny commits if it breaks ebuild dependencies
19
20 If you want central control of what's happening in the repository,
21 Subversion seems like the way to go.
22
23 > SVN requires at least 2x the tree size for storage on the local machine,
24
25 This is a feature, not a bug.
26 It allows you to keep operations local, fx. do a diff without being
27 online with the repository.
28
29 > checkouts take something akin to an order of magnitude longer than CVS.
30
31 In the past Subversion performance was sub-par. I haven't
32 systematically tested performance, but I would expect it to be much
33 better now.
34
35 Performance is gradually improved, see fx. r18867, r18944 and r19420:
36 http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=rev&revision=18867
37 http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=rev&revision=18944
38 http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=rev&revision=19420
39
40 GIT might perform better, since Linus specifically emphasized
41 non-O(n^2) performance in the design. But being a decentralized tool,
42 I'm not sure how well it fits the needs here.
43
44 > The former is annoying, but liveable, but
45 > the latter is a deal-breaker.
46
47 I don't think so. You really rarely do a complete checkout.
48
49 > - No changeset/merge tracking
50
51 Solutions exist, including svnmerge and svk.
52 "Official" solution actively worked on at the moment, check out the
53 svn dev list.
54
55 A benefit of Subversion that I personally like is that FSFS
56 repositories are extremely easy to rsync.
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list