From: Meder Bakirov <bakirov@××××××××.kg>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] another global use flag...
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 05:31:26
1 I, as a regular user, second this.
2
3 Before we had a 'bzlib' USE-flag, and now it is 'bzip2', which is more
4 user-friendlier for users to understand.
5
6 On Friday 23 December 2005 03:52, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
7 > On Thursday 22 December 2005 20:14, Drake Wyrm wrote:
8 > > Query: Which would be more appropriate in this case? "jasper" for the
9 > > library it pulls in as a depend, or "jpeg2k" for the functionality that
10 > > library provides? There's nothing else in the tree (as far as I can
11 > > tell) which provides JPEG-2000, but there could be.
12 >
13 > It is imho a _problem_ when use flags are _unnecessarily_ named after the
14 > library instead the provided functionality. When there are two libs doing
15 > the same thing, a single use flag should suffice: Less use flags mean
16 > reduced complexity for the user, who likely will understand what "jpeg2k"
17 > means, but not "jasper". Which leads me to the next issue; Often you can
18 > read:
19 >
20 > foo - enables support for $category/foo
21 >
22 > Such a description is as good as none. To give a sample how it should be:
23 >
24 > jpeg2k - Support for JPEG 2000, a wavelet-based image compression format.
27 > Carsten
30 С уважением,
31
32 Медер Бакиров