From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] another global use flag...
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:58:20
1 On Thursday 22 December 2005 20:14, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > Query: Which would be more appropriate in this case? "jasper" for the
3 > library it pulls in as a depend, or "jpeg2k" for the functionality that
4 > library provides? There's nothing else in the tree (as far as I can
5 > tell) which provides JPEG-2000, but there could be.
6
7 It is imho a _problem_ when use flags are _unnecessarily_ named after the
8 library instead the provided functionality. When there are two libs doing the
9 same thing, a single use flag should suffice: Less use flags mean reduced
10 complexity for the user, who likely will understand what "jpeg2k" means, but
11 not "jasper". Which leads me to the next issue; Often you can read:
12
13 foo - enables support for $category/foo
14
15 Such a description is as good as none. To give a sample how it should be:
16
17 jpeg2k - Support for JPEG 2000, a wavelet-based image compression format.
20 Carsten