From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:04:04
1 On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 02/20/04 John Nilsson wrote:
3 >
4 >> Would it be wrong for Gentoo to settle for a standardized
5 >> configuration file format and implement it in the distro?
6 >>
7 >> I think the current situation is a mess and if we (through patches or
8 >> upstream changes) could rely on a single configuration format (xml
9 >> mabey) a lot of nice features could be engineered.
10 >>
11 >> 1. A standard parser library API for all apps.
12 >> 2. Same frontend usable for all configurations.
13 >> 3. A final solution to all config file upgrade problems.
14 >>
15 >> I know that this is a little outside the scope of Gentoo or Portage
16 >> development, but the whole point of using OSS is the ability to mess
17 >> with the source. I see no reason why Gentoo can not be a leader in
18 >> distributon innovations...
19 >
20 > a) no, as it's an impossible task
21 > b) no, as different formats are suited for different purposes
22 > c) no, as I don't think anyone has time for it
23 > d) I don't see how the format plays a role for updating config files
24 >
25 > as for b), surely some unification might be good, but there isn't one
26 > format that fits for all applications (unless you don't care about
27 > manual editing).
28
29 For the points 1 and 2, one could go the way of Apple, and standardize
30 on XML. However, this sort of buggers the question - while the API may
31 be the same for all MacOS X apps' configs, this doesn't mean there isn't
32 still a veritible gulf between config files. Also, their universal
33 configuration editor is only ever used by bit twiddlers, as it's more
34 arcane than most traditional Unix config files.
35
36 Being a leader is nice, unless you're leading in a direction no sane
37 person would want to go. We might be able to sanely get the three
38 features requested at some point in the future, but it would require, so
39 far as I am currently aware, an imaginitive leap from where we are now.
40
41 It would also require making significant custom patches to virtually
42 every package in the repository, which is not something that I think any
43 meta-distribution will seriously contemplate.
44
45 Ed
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list