From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:10:39
1 On 02/20/04 John Nilsson wrote:
2
3 > Would it be wrong for Gentoo to settle for a standardized
4 > configuration file format and implement it in the distro?
5 >
6 > I think the current situation is a mess and if we (through patches or
7 > upstream changes) could rely on a single configuration format (xml
8 > mabey) a lot of nice features could be engineered.
9 >
10 > 1. A standard parser library API for all apps.
11 > 2. Same frontend usable for all configurations.
12 > 3. A final solution to all config file upgrade problems.
13 >
14 > I know that this is a little outside the scope of Gentoo or Portage
15 > development, but the whole point of using OSS is the ability to mess
16 > with the source. I see no reason why Gentoo can not be a leader in
17 > distributon innovations...
18
19 a) no, as it's an impossible task
20 b) no, as different formats are suited for different purposes
21 c) no, as I don't think anyone has time for it
22 d) I don't see how the format plays a role for updating config files
23
24 as for b), surely some unification might be good, but there isn't one
25 format that fits for all applications (unless you don't care about
26 manual editing).
27
28 Marius
33 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
34 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.