From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:39:14
1 Would it be wrong for Gentoo to settle for a standardized configuration
2 file format and implement it in the distro?
3
4 I think the current situation is a mess and if we (through patches or
5 upstream changes) could rely on a single configuration format (xml
6 mabey) a lot of nice features could be engineered.
7
8 1. A standard parser library API for all apps.
9 2. Same frontend usable for all configurations.
10 3. A final solution to all config file upgrade problems.
11
12 I know that this is a little outside the scope of Gentoo or Portage
13 development, but the whole point of using OSS is the ability to mess
14 with the source. I see no reason why Gentoo can not be a leader in
15 distributon innovations...
16
17 -John
18