From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:03:45
1 On 02/07/04 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 20:06, Steven Elling wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 13:48, purslow@×××××××××.ca wrote:
5 > > > recently, i re-emerged 'baselayout',
6 > > > which caused a set of candidates to be created for 'etc-update'.
7 > > > most were innocuous or easily understood,
8 > > > but one was for /etc/fstab , which seems both dangerous &
9 > > > unjustified.
10 > >
11 > > I agree!
12 > >
13 > > This has been brought to the attention of the devs already,
14 > > discussed at length, debated at length, and eventually ignored as if
15 > > it is not a problem.
16 >
17 > Not so. It has been discussed and debated, yes, but not ignored. The
18 > only reason for the perceived inaction is really the absence of an
19 > acceptable solution. I'm toying with the notion of creating the .cfg
20 > file using the user's installed fstab file so that the diff is against
21 > a locally known quantity rather than a blind default quantity. I'm
22 > not sure on the pros and cons and haven't given the thought much air
23 > time for discussion yet, so I guess consider this the official
24 > throwing out.
25
26 Just thinking about this, how about the following procedure:
27 - if a config file is installed the first time also let portage make a
28 backup to a safe place (say /var/db/pkg/cat/pkg-ver/config)
29 - whenever the file is target to be updated make a diff against the
30 original config file, replace the backup with the to-be-installed file
31 and use the diff to create the .cfg* file.
32 - Optionally ignore comments/cvs headers in the diff
33
34 Maybe that's what you meant, just formalizing it a bit more ;)
35
36 Marius
41 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
42 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.