From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 20:07:26
1 On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:20:19AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote
2 >
3 > Here is more info about the split and why it exists. It turns out it hs
4 > nothing to do with system admininistration or permissions.
5 >
6 > http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
7 > http://www.osnews.com/story/25556/Understanding_the_bin_sbin_usr_bin_usr_sbin_Split/
8 > https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3519952
9 >
10 > In short, this is all a historical artifact with justifications thought
11 > up after the fact.
12
13 The historical reasons may or may not exist any longer. The question
14 is "what is the current situation?". The current situation is that
15 there are 3 classes of software...
16 1) system software that is required for bootup (mount, init, etcetera)
17 2) system software that is usually used by root for admin purposes
18 3) regular applications that users use
19
20 Question... do we really want "GIMP", "Firefox", etcetera, in the same
21 directory as "mount", "chroot", "login", "passwd", "ifconfig", etcetera?
22 I don't think so. I want separate "system progs" versus "user progs"
23 directories. There may be an argument for merging /bin and /sbin
24 directories (items 1 and 2 above), but user applications should be
25 separate. If we move /bin and /sbin into /usr/bin, I suggest moving all
26 user programs to /usr/local/binuser applications should be separate. If
27 we move /bin and /sbin into /usr/bin, I suggest moving all user programs
28 to /usr/local/bin.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications