From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 20:19:26
1 On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM, <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:20:19AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote
4 > >
5 > > Here is more info about the split and why it exists. It turns out it hs
6 > > nothing to do with system admininistration or permissions.
7 > >
8 > > http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
9 > >
10 > http://www.osnews.com/story/25556/Understanding_the_bin_sbin_usr_bin_usr_sbin_Split/
11 > > https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3519952
12 > >
13 > > In short, this is all a historical artifact with justifications thought
14 > > up after the fact.
15 >
16 > The historical reasons may or may not exist any longer. The question
17 > is "what is the current situation?". The current situation is that
18 > there are 3 classes of software...
19 > 1) system software that is required for bootup (mount, init, etcetera)
20 > 2) system software that is usually used by root for admin purposes
21 > 3) regular applications that users use
22 >
23 > Question... do we really want "GIMP", "Firefox", etcetera, in the same
24 > directory as "mount", "chroot", "login", "passwd", "ifconfig", etcetera?
27 From my own experience, it is useful to run "ifconfig" or "mount" as a
28 regular user, same as the gimp or firefox commands. Given that all the
29 commands you listed are in /usr/bin or /bin, I think I'm not the only one.
30 The difference between "system software" and "regular applications" isn't
31 clear-cut.
35 > I don't think so. I want separate "system progs" versus "user progs"
36 > directories. There may be an argument for merging /bin and /sbin
37 > directories (items 1 and 2 above), but user applications should be
38 > separate. If we move /bin and /sbin into /usr/bin, I suggest moving all
39 > user programs to /usr/local/binuser applications should be separate. If
40 > we move /bin and /sbin into /usr/bin, I suggest moving all user programs
41 > to /usr/local/bin.
42 >
43 > --
44 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
45 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications