From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 01:16:48
1 On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 04:18:58PM -0400, Joseph Booker wrote
2 >
3 > From my own experience, it is useful to run "ifconfig" or "mount"
4 > as a regular user, same as the gimp or firefox commands. Given that
5 > all the commands you listed are in /usr/bin or /bin, I think I'm
6 > not the only one. The difference between "system software" and
7 > "regular applications" isn't clear-cut.
8
9 Let me rephrase that... instead of calling it "system software", let's
10 call it "software that the system needs for its own purposes". Whether
11 end users run them later is beside the point. Systems will boot, mount
12 disks, and set TCP/IP connections fine without GIMP or Firefox. Not so
13 much without mount and ifconfig/ifcfg.
16 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
17 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications