From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage idea - auto embed user patches
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:55:12
1 On Friday, 22 December 2006 1:02, Alexander Zubkov wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > I have some idea on extending portage building system (ebuild?).
4 > Sometimes I'm (for example) want to apply custom patch to some package.
5 > This patch can do something unusual, that can not be accepted by
6 > maintainers and I know this. But I like features in my patch and want it
7 > to apply automatically when updating the package. Not to do it like this:
8 > $ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 unpack
9 > $ cd /var/tmp/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/work/...
10 > $ patch -p1 < ~/my-patch-for-some-package
11 > $ cd
12 > $ ebuild /usr/portage/pkg-categoty/some-package/some-package-1.0 merge
13 >
14 > It is lot of manual work. The idea is having an file, for example
15 > /etc/portage/package.patch with contents like this:
16 > =pkg-category/some-package-1* /path/to/my-patch-for-some-package
17 >
18 > Of course, patches could fail in newer versions. But when I'll use that
19 > feature - I'll understand why it can be and it'll be more convenient to
20 > maintain it.
21
22 You can edit ebuilds to apply whatever patches you want and put them in an
23 overlay. Usually it's just an epatch line that needs to be added.
26 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list