From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo could become certified for IBM Server Hardware
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 23:15:00
1 On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:31:44 -0500 David Krider <david@×××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 17:26 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:17:53 +0200 Michiel de Bruijne
5 | > <m.debruijne@××××××.nl> wrote:
6 | > | Second showstopper is lack of (LSB-)certification;
7 | > | Like it or not, the typical managers in this world say if product
8 | > | x isn't y-certified we wont use/support it. Gentoo needs a
9 | > | profile for a LSB-compliant system.
10 | >
11 | > Don't be silly.
12 |
13 | Forgive me to come into a list where I should probably just be
14 | lurking, but this is really what I subscribed to the list for: why is
15 | this idea silly?
16
17 For us to support LSB:
18
19 * We'd have to use RPM instead of portage
20 * We'd have to support all the daft FHS ideas like /media, /srv and
21 /wedonotunderstandtheunixfs
22 * We'd have to make X support mandatory
23 * We'd have to ship ancient versions of core libraries
24
25 In fact, basically, we'd have to become RedHat.
28 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
29 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
30 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm