From: Michiel de Bruijne <m.debruijne@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo could become certified for IBM Server Hardware
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 01:28:05
1 On Thursday 05 May 2005 01:14, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > For us to support LSB:
3 >
4 > * We'd have to use RPM instead of portage
5
6 That's not correct, quote from LSB:
7 "The distribution itself may use a different packaging format for its own
8 packages, and of course it may use any available mechanism for installing the
9 LSB-conformant packages."
10
11 So basically we can continue to do rpm2targz like we do now and still be
12 LSB-compliant.
13
14 > * We'd have to support all the daft FHS ideas like /media, /srv and
15 > /wedonotunderstandtheunixfs
16
17 Like you said before:
18 "Thing is, it really isn't a problem. Data files go in $(datadir),
19 configuration files go in $(sysconfdir) and so on, and the build system
20 handles the rest. It doesn't matter what $(datadir) is actually defined
21 to be (unless your code really really sucks)."
22
23 With a proper build system you can install the same package in the current
24 Gentoo FHS or the LSB FHS.
25
26 > * We'd have to make X support mandatory
27
28 Only in the LSB-profile, the normal profile doesn't need to have X-libs
29 installed.
30
31 > * We'd have to ship ancient versions of core libraries
32
33 There is some interest in that already, see GLEP19
34
35 > In fact, basically, we'd have to become RedHat.
36
37 I don't agree. I think the Gentoo-framework is flexible enough to give us an
38 _optional_ LSB-compliant system (e.g. by selecting a profile) without making
39 any consessions on the current Gentoo-structure.
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list