From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES=splitdebug and debugedit
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 06:27:05
1 2017-10-13 4:05 GMT+02:00 M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>:
2
3 > On 12/10/17 22:24, Francesco Riosa wrote:
4 > > hi,
5 > >
6 > > FEATURES=splitdebug at the moment require package dev-util/debugedit
7 > > which is a lagging behind upstream.
8 > > However package app-arch/rpm (from which debugedit is forked) always
9 > > install the same binary in ${ROOT}/usr/libexec/rpm/debugedit.
10 > >
11 > > In 2017 I don't see much value in maintaining a fork from a package
12 > > (rpm) that weight less than 3MB when the functionality we need is
13 > > already all upstreamed. But if there is someone willing to keep it up to
14 > > date, that's totally fine.
15 > >
16 > > Provided we^W you keep dev-util/debugedit indefinitely it's possible to
17 > > provide more useful choices to the users with at least two courses of
18 > > action:
19 > >
20 > > 1) instruct ${package_manager} to search for `debugedit` first in
21 > > ${PATH} _and_ then in /usr/libexec/rpm/debugedit.
22 > > This way dev-util/debugedit take precedence, if it's not installed and
23 > > app-arch/rpm is, then the latter will be used.
24 > >
25 > > 2) optionally (via useflag) create a symlink in /usr/bin to the libexec
26 > > debugedit when installing rpm. Obviously the two package must block each
27 > > other.
28 > > the rpm package implementing this solution (revbumped to latest) is
29 > > available here:
30 > > https://github.com/vivo75/vivovl/blob/master/app-arch/
31 > rpm/rpm-4.14.0.ebuild
32 > >
33 > > thanks for reading and please share your thoughts
34 > >
35 > > -- Francesco (vivo) Riosa
36 > >
37 > Sounds to me like a potential case of a 'virtual/debugedit' package,
38 > depending on one of rpm or debugedit to be installed, perhaps?
39 >
40 > MJE
43 It would be, but debugedit has no dependency in tree, so it's all
44 manageable from the messages portage send to the user.