From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:17:13
1 On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 17:32 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > <snip a bunch about binpkg>
3 >
4 > I think a key thing that is missing is build info that is only kept on
5 > the installed system. If we were to ever create a build server setup, we
6 > need to be able to have multiple binpkg's of the same version depending
7 > on differences between sub-arch, use flags, cflag differences, gcc
8 > version differences, etc. The key one i'm after is use flags. I'm not
9 > sure of the technical details behind it, but we need something to make
10 > the binpkgs more useful outside of the local system. Having the ebuild
11 > packed at the end is a great idea! I think its just time to extend the
12 > format to include more and possibly add things for build servers.
13
14 USE flags are stored in the package. The main thing is that portage
15 doesn't consider them, at all, unless you use --newuse, in which case if
16 the USE flags do not match, it will not use the package and will compile
17 from source. We use this every day in Release Engineering with
18 catalyst.
21 Chris Gianelloni
22 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
23 x86 Architecture Team