From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:36:52
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni posted <1136575828.18383.81.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net>,
3 > excerpted below, on Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:30:28 -0500:
6 >>Perhaps a good explanation of the binpkg format would be in order to
7 >>give us a chance to determine what could/should be changed?
10 > As I regularly use the binpkg features on packages I've build with
11 > FEATURES=buildpkg, I believe I can answer this:
12 >
13 > The format is really pretty simple. It's a tar.bz2 (labeled as
14 > package-ver-r#.tbz2), with some additional data appended to the end.
15 > As such, it can be handled with the usual tarball tools, save that they
16 > usually complain about the extra data at the end, but proceed anyway. I
17 > regularly open them in mc's utar virtualfs for instance, to compare what's
18 > actually tarballed in one version to what's in another or to what's on my
19 > system.
20
21 <snip a bunch about binpkg>
22
23 I think a key thing that is missing is build info that is only kept on
24 the installed system. If we were to ever create a build server setup, we
25 need to be able to have multiple binpkg's of the same version depending
26 on differences between sub-arch, use flags, cflag differences, gcc
27 version differences, etc. The key one i'm after is use flags. I'm not
28 sure of the technical details behind it, but we need something to make
29 the binpkgs more useful outside of the local system. Having the ebuild
30 packed at the end is a great idea! I think its just time to extend the
31 format to include more and possibly add things for build servers.
34 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
35 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
36
37 ---
38 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
39 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
40
41 ramereth/irc.freenode.net