From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Referencing bug reports in git (WAS: Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: sci-libs/opencascade/)
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 23:16:14
1 On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 00:40:44 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > > > Which is terribly redundant. Just put the whole bug URL. Advantages:
3 > > >
4 > > > - keeps the bug namespaced to bugs.gentoo.org,
5 > > > - has the bug no inside,
6 > > > - is convenient -- you can click it instead of copy-pasting the no.
7 > >
8 > > 1. URL may change in future, bug number — unlikely.
9 >
10 > If the URL changes, we need to provide backwards compatibility. Too
11 > many resources already depend on that.
12 >
13 > > 2. Bug number can be easily typed, URL has to be copied or
14 > > generated by some tool.
15 >
16 > So, please remind me, how many times the 'easy typing' got the bug
17 > number wrong? This is not a real argument, just another of Gentoo's
18 > 'I'm too lazy to do things right'.
19
20 URLs are longer, so probability of error during typing increases
21 compared to raw numbers.
22
23 > > 3. Too many text, hard to read. Some bugs may refer to a dozen of
24 > > URLs.
25 >
26 > And how is a dozen numbers better?
27
28 Less text, more readable.
29
30 > > 4. It is easier to copy a number, than selecting and copying whole
31 > > string. Not all terminals support running browser on URL click.
32 >
33 > So we should optimize for a corner case?
34
35 What is a corner case? Why not defining "clicking on the link in
36 the git log" as a corner case?
37
38 > > 5. Clicking is less convenient than typing "bugs search $number" —
39 > > user have to move hands from a keyboard to a mouse — a terrible
40 > > waste of time, at least in my case with my typing speed.
41 >
42 > You can type the number you see at the end of the URL. If you really
43 > want to go l33t, that shouldn't a problem for you.
44
45 This is not a matter of going l33t, this is a matter of getting rid
46 of redundant and pretty much useless data all the same through
47 almost all commit messages.
48
49 Best regards,
50 Andrew Savchenko