From: Jonas Geiregat <yux@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: sys-pam category
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:34:34
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2
3 >On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 16:22 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
6 >>Currently pam stuff (implementations, modules) are organized in the worst way
7 >>I ever seen.
8 >>Most of them are in sys-libs, some of them in app-admin, other in app-crypt,
9 >>pam_smb in net-misc and so on.
10 >>
11 >>I think we should reorganize them and have a sys-pam category with
12 >>implementations (Linux-PAM and OpenPAM) and the modules needed.
13 >>
14 >>Such a change would require a lot of work and we can't count on epkgmove I
15 >>think, but if someone is going to help me or at least tell me how to do such
16 >>a change without breaking everything (always if such a change is accepted,
17 >>obv.)..
18 >>
19 >>Comments?
23 >Diego:
24 >This is not directed at you solely but expresses my general feelings on
25 >the topic of ever moving packages.
26 >
27 >I think they are fine where they are. Moving stuff around is a waste of
28 >time. Makes things more complex. Makes more work on everybody.
29 >Invalidates binary package trees. It places stress on rsync servers. It
30 >makes people have to rewrite rsync_exclude files. Makes it harder for
31 >scripts that interact with portage. And in the end really gains us next
32 >to nothing. Please stop moving stuff around for cosmetic reasons. I see
33 >far to many threads about changing stuff. No real valuable work ever
34 >gets done. Stuff simply just gets shifted around somebody can think of a
35 >new way to categorize existing data.
39 I do agree with you but some package just have completely wrong place
40 within portage, such package placements migh confuse the user.
41 To give an example: mzscheme was placed in dev-lisp while portage had a
42 dev-scheme directory.
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list