From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Cedric Veilleux <cedric@×××××××.com>, Chris Coffman <tk@××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] aloha
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:56:35
1 On Thursday 11 July 2002 10:22 pm, Cedric Veilleux wrote:
2 > Installing gentoo from another linux system running on the same box is my
3 > prefered way of installing gentoo. It is quick and easy and you have access
4 > to all the tools you might need. The gentoo CD is a stripped down linux, so
5 > if you can use an already running system it will most probably do the job
6 > just as well.
7
8 I agree, being able to install gentoo in a chrooted environment, on a machine
9 already running GNU/Linux (and usable as a normal workstation the entire
10 time) is one of Gentoo's great strengths. What difference does it make if
11 compilation takes 8 hours or 80 hours, if it is taking place in an xterm
12 tucked away in the corner of the dekstop, onto a second set of partitions the
13 current installation isn't using anyway. The only time the machine is
14 unavailable is when I reboot it to bring up the new Gentoo installation,
15 after I've already compiled X, KDE, Gnome, etc. and copied over a working
16 XF86Config.
17
18 Total down time for a new installation, from scratch: less than a minute.