From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on the licensing issue
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:06:23
1 >>>>> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Hanno Böck wrote:
2
3 > I think the GPL-compatible set makes barely sense. The problem with
4 > it is, as stated by various people, that we have different GPLs.
5 > GPL2 and 3 are incompatible, so it doesn't mean "GPL-compatible" are
6 > all licenses that can be mixed together. I don't know how/if we
7 > should resolve this.
8
9 So what do you suggest? Remove "GPL-COMPATIBLE" and move everything
10 into "FSF-APPROVED"?
11
12 > For documentation, we may want to have another set? I'll add one
13 > with the well known free documentation licenses (FDL, CC by, cc
14 > by-sa). If we decide to go some other way, we can throw it away, but
15 > I wanted to start something ;-)
16
17 Is your "FREE-DOCUMENTS" meant to include things like fonts, or do we
18 need another group for them?
19
20 > What bites me is the man-pages issue. Is it really the case that
21 > there's no free (as in freedom) man-pages package?
22
23 For man-pages "freedist" isn't really a good label. It should rather
24 be something like "as-is GPL-2 BSD". I've opened bug 299893 for it.
25
26 > Maybe then we should provide an option to install the base system
27 > without man-pages?
28
29 Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. We're not Debian.
30
31 Ulrich