From: Carlos Silva <r3pek@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers: nvidia-drivers-313.18.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 15:50:11
1 On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > What do we have useflags for in gentoo?
4 >
5 > add a "unsupported-kernels" useflag, mask it, add a clear statement in
6 > the masking reason and be done
9 Not a bad solution, still, I, as a user, don't think making the compilation
10 work with a specific kernel should be considered "unsupported". How many
11 times modules stop working because the kernel changed something that
12 breakes compilation? And I'm not only talking about closed source drivers,
13 even open source ones have this "problem", but in fact, they are fixed
14 faster.
15
16 Does the gentoo community really need this kind of strictness? Don't think
17 so.