From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers: nvidia-drivers-313.18.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 14:43:08
1 On 03/03/2013 08:11 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > There was a big ole' chat on #gentoo-dev regarding this. My
4 > understanding of the summary is that the nvidia-driver Gentoo team
5 > only supports kernels that nvidia themselves (upstream) support. The
6 > Kernels > 3.4 are not supported by upstream, so they are also not
7 > supported in Gentoo. I believe the ebuild contains instructions on
8 > using user_patches to get these patches. The nvidia maintainers in
9 > Gentoo do not want to be responsible for those patches though; this is
10 > why they are not included (and why your commit was reverted.)
11 >
12 > I do not find their stance wholly unreasonable. They offered to point
13 > users at an overlay, if someone was willing to maintain the patches
14 > there (in lieu of user_patches.) The end result is that if users apply
15 > the patches, they will get an unsupported setup. There is a fear as
16 > well, that the patches may damage cards (since the patches are not
17 > supported by the vendor.)
18
19 What do we have useflags for in gentoo?
20
21 add a "unsupported-kernels" useflag, mask it, add a clear statement in
22 the masking reason and be done