From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers: nvidia-drivers-313.18.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:27:52
1 On 03/03/13 16:42, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 03/03/2013 08:11 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >>
4 >> There was a big ole' chat on #gentoo-dev regarding this. My
5 >> understanding of the summary is that the nvidia-driver Gentoo team
6 >> only supports kernels that nvidia themselves (upstream) support. The
7 >> Kernels > 3.4 are not supported by upstream, so they are also not
8 >> supported in Gentoo. I believe the ebuild contains instructions on
9 >> using user_patches to get these patches. The nvidia maintainers in
10 >> Gentoo do not want to be responsible for those patches though; this is
11 >> why they are not included (and why your commit was reverted.)
12 >>
13 >> I do not find their stance wholly unreasonable. They offered to point
14 >> users at an overlay, if someone was willing to maintain the patches
15 >> there (in lieu of user_patches.) The end result is that if users apply
16 >> the patches, they will get an unsupported setup. There is a fear as
17 >> well, that the patches may damage cards (since the patches are not
18 >> supported by the vendor.)
19 >
20 > What do we have useflags for in gentoo?
21 >
22 > add a "unsupported-kernels" useflag, mask it, add a clear statement in
23 > the masking reason and be done
26 IUSE="+vanilla" with the + if the maintainer wants should cover all the
27 issues brought up so far
28
29 - Samuli