From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: dropping redundant stable keywords
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 20:50:18
1 Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > "Steven J. Long" wrote:
3 >
4 > > Closing those bugs as WONTFIX is more work, and in some cases the bugs
5 > > would be justified, if the user is on the slow arch in question.
6 >
7 > They are less work; since it lets the slower arches move their work to
8 > bugs of important packages that need their attention, instead of bugs
9 > of non-important packages were the stabilization isn't really necessary.
10
11 Huh? The slower arch is not keeping up with stabilisation. How can the
12 stabilisation suddenly be unnecessary? If it is not needed, there is no
13 problem, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
14
15 Much better for the arch in question to field the bug, than tell the
16 user there is no problem, and we don't care. That way you can get the
17 user involved in stabilisation and AT via that bug, instead of turning
18 them away with priggishness.
19
20 No wonder you're short of manpower.
21
22 > > The arguments and headaches at the user, bug
23 > > and AT sides are causing more work (or detracting from real work) too.
24 >
25 > Yes, the less work that we can do, the more work the user has to do as
26 > a natural consequence; discussions like these are there to prevent
27 > those headaches way in advance, as we can proper adapt and/or respond
28 > to the situation. And if needed, bring out news such that the user is
29 > well informed. Not sure which argumentation this is about though.
30
31 Perfectly simple: instead of having this row repeatedly, or borking
32 archs, let's use the solution proposed by the ARM AT: provide a technical
33 reason why it won't work, rather than a conceptual problem with the
34 "hack".
35
36 The history of computing is littered with hacks that turned out to shed
37 new light on a problem: it's called exploring the problem domain. It's
38 only when you have idiomatic knowledge of the language/tools *and* the
39 specific domain, that you can envision oddball solutions and more
40 importantly _know_ that they will work (perhaps with a bit of tweaking.)
41
42 <snip>
43 > [1] Quality Assurance / Policies / Dropping Stable KEYWORDs
44 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Policies#Dropping_Stable_KEYWORDs
45
46 That's not a policy: it's a two-line statement of intent. Further, the
47 solution steev brought up is much much better than simply dropping the
48 ebuild.
49
50 > > Just keep the old ebuilds as useful metadata, subject to the usual
51 > > version-control cycle, but iff it's causing you problems and you want
52 > > to drop it, mark it with: "-* slowe rarch" so we can script off it and
53 > > automate bug-handling etc. so your life is easier, as well as the
54 > > archs in question (and their users.)
55 >
56 > As stated before, -* means something way different; it is a suggestion
57 > that does not fit this thread. Like before, did you mean "slower arch"?
58
59 No, it's an example, like foo bar, but indicating that we're talking
60 about slower archs, and likely more than one in some instances. As before
61 did you mean to raise a technical objection with clear explanation of
62 what and why it would break?
63
64 > And even if you did, we have then already been using this practice for
65 > a long while; it is different from the problem that was brought up here.
66
67 Yes, yes, you can keep going on about the "conceptual difficulty", but
68 the simple fact is the solution works, or it wouldn't have been raised.
69 steev's idiomatic knowledge and solution wins, IMNSHO.
70 --
71 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)