From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: dropping redundant stable keywords
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 09:45:19
1 On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 06:25:24 +0000
2 "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Closing those bugs as WONTFIX is more work, and in some cases the bugs
5 > would be justified, if the user is on the slow arch in question.
6
7 They are less work; since it lets the slower arches move their work to
8 bugs of important packages that need their attention, instead of bugs
9 of non-important packages were the stabilization isn't really necessary.
10
11 > The arguments and headaches at the user, bug
12 > and AT sides are causing more work (or detracting from real work) too.
13
14 Yes, the less work that we can do, the more work the user has to do as
15 a natural consequence; discussions like these are there to prevent
16 those headaches way in advance, as we can proper adapt and/or respond
17 to the situation. And if needed, bring out news such that the user is
18 well informed. Not sure which argumentation this is about though.
19
20 > I don't think it should be general policy to drop stable keywords; as
21 > someone said, the latest stable in the tree /is/ the stable one, and
22 > there's no real point in adding work, *unless* the maintainer
23 > actually wants to drop the ebuild, but cannot due to the holdup with
24 > slower archs.
25
26 The policy[1] that was formed on this requires this to be at least 90
27 days after the stabilization for the new version was filed and the arch
28 team doesn't respond within that time; the old stable version is even
29 much older than that, if you assume it was stabilized after 30 days,
30 we're talking about versions that are at least 4 months old.
31
32 Knowing not everyone follows stabilization of their packages that well,
33 you can add a bit more time to that. If an arch team can't stabilize a
34 package every half year, then one can't expect that package to remain
35 stable; but in general, yes, dropping it unconditionally would be bad.
36
37 [1] Quality Assurance / Policies / Dropping Stable KEYWORDs
38 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Policies#Dropping_Stable_KEYWORDs
39
40 > Just keep the old ebuilds as useful metadata, subject to the usual
41 > version-control cycle, but iff it's causing you problems and you want
42 > to drop it, mark it with: "-* slowe rarch" so we can script off it and
43 > automate bug-handling etc. so your life is easier, as well as the
44 > archs in question (and their users.)
45
46 As stated before, -* means something way different; it is a suggestion
47 that does not fit this thread. Like before, did you mean "slower arch"?
48
49 And even if you did, we have then already been using this practice for
50 a long while; it is different from the problem that was brought up here.
53 With kind regards,
54
55 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
56 Gentoo Developer
57
58 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
59 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
60 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D