From: "Sérgio Almeida" <mephx.x@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo SoC <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Sébastien Fabbro" <sebfabbro@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Progress on Universal Select Tool
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:32:16
1 On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 15:48 +0100, Sérgio Almeida wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Current State of Universal Select Tool - uselect
5 >
6 > Proposal link:
7 > http://socghop.appspot.com/student_project/show/google/gsoc2009/gentoo/t124022356237
8 >
9 > uselect implementation started a few weeks before SoC officially started
10 > to "de-rust" myself on python programming.
11 >
12 > Here follows a checklist of what it already does right now.
13 >
14 > * modules syntax defined
15 > * modules support any scripting language
16 > * module conversion from eselect to uselect are very easy (even when not
17 > symlinking)
18 > * per-user/system-wide actions
19 > * simple symlinking actions are defined in 1 line only. uselect does all
20 > the job.
21 > * changing a user python interpreter through adding ~/.uselect/bin to
22 > PATH through /etc/profile (is this the better way?)
23 >
24 > Next steps:
25 >
26 > * look deeper into eselect already implemented functions that most
27 > modules use (by using inherit) and see what is uselect still lacking
28 > * define profiling system (nice thread on gentoo-dev on this)
29 > * start the profile system implementation
30 > * start using gentoo's git
31 >
32 > Further Notes:
33 >
34 > * At this point I am ahead on schedule because of my early start. With
35 > this I have plenty of time to implement features that were not described
36 > on the proposal.
37 > * Soon I will push the code into gentoo's git. If you have time, take a
38 > look at it. Hope these reports are taken also as a "call for ideas".
39 >
40 > Hope I'm not lacking any information. I'm loving working with Gentoo on
41 > this. Learned a lot until now.
42 >
43 > Cheers,
44 > Sérgio
45
46 Hello,
47
48 Just made the initial commit on gentoo's git.
49
50 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/uselect.git;a=summary
51
52 Please take the time to take a look at uselect and leave me some
53 feedback if possible.
54
55 install.sh should get uselect working for you.
56
57 Cheers,
58 Sérgio
59 --