From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Software patents
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:12:36
1 Not to mention all the software written in Java ... and other things in
2 the Portage tree like VMWare ... skype ... acroread ...
3
4 Really ... you can take those out of the Portage tree. I can -- and
5 often do -- download them directly and install them. On Gentoo, CentOS,
6 Debian, Fedora and Windows. It won't hurt me in the slightest if they're
7 removed from Portage.
8
9 twofourtysix wrote:
10
11 >I applaud all those people on the Planet who are posting
12 >anti-software-patent banners in their blogs. It's good to see yet
13 >another major software project taking a stance.
14 >
15 >Are these people prepared to back up their views by removing from the
16 >tree all those ebuilds for software made by companies who make heavy
17 >use of software patents? That would be far more effective, and may
18 >even encourage a few mainstream tech news sources to stop ignoring the
19 >issue. I can think of quite a few software-patent friendly companies
20 >who are currently gaining significant good PR from being 'supported'
21 >by Gentoo.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list