From: "Jared H. Hudson" <jhhudso@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Just built Gentoo using gcc 3.0.3
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:27:26
1 I just reinstalled my gentoo box using gcc 3.0.3 w/Athlon optimization
2 turned on. I had to patch a couple apps, mostly just relating to
3 includes that weren't defined, or libraries not being linked in.
4
5 Anyone with a Athlon or Pentium4 would gain some speed by doing this
6 IMO.
7
8 To Who/Where should I post all of my patches? There's not that many,
9 maybe 4 or so packages for a GNOME+Sawfish system. I think all of the
10 changes I made would not affect a gcc 2.95 system adversly.
11
12 The packages I incounted that had errors were:
13 pwdb (needed by PAM)
14 netkit-telnet
15 nautilus
16 nvidia (although it seemed to just be a bash script syntax error not
17 related to gcc3)
18 I might be forgetting one.
19
20 I let the bootstrap.sh script bootstrap the system including using gcc
21 2.95 then I emerge'd gcc 3.0.3 then unmerged the old gcc2.95, fixed my
22 /etc/make.conf to include -march=athlon and -mcpu=athlon instead of
23 i686. Then I did a emerge system and went from there. Stopping duing
24 broken package builds to create a patch file and re-build it.
25
26 -Jared H.