From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 17:32:36
1 On wto, 2017-08-08 at 10:18 -0700, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 08/08/2017 06:37 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 > > > I make a lot of binaries for use on other systems, to expedite updates.
5 > > > It does not make sense for some packages to ever be a binary package.
6 > >
7 > > Any particular reason this decision shouldn't be left to the operator of
8 > > the binhost rather than the package maintainer? it can already be
9 > > controlled through env files.
12 > Perhaps, but I could see some value in having some way to mark
13 > packages that don't compile anything. This could also overlap
14 > somewhat with the desire to track arch-independent packages for
15 > stabilization purposes. I could see it being useful to be able to
16 > obtain a list of all the binary packages in the Gentoo repo for QA
17 > purposes/etc as well.
18 >
19 > Maybe it isn't a flag that outright blocks binary package building,
20 > but a way to mark such packages so that a user can apply a policy on
21 > top of this.
22 >
23 > Whether it belongs in the ebuild, or in metadata, is another matter.
24
25 Does a package that builds documentation from sources count?
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny