From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: patches.gentoo.org
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:49:19
1 On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 16:38 -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Tue October 12 2004 15:09, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > The proposal is to get infrastructure to provide a temporary location
4 > > for developers to upload patches which are necessary to be immediately
5 > > available to users. This space would be writable by all CVS developers
6 > > and would be accessible to the world via http. Developers would use
7 > > this space for temporary storage only for patches which are
8 > > created/rolled in-house.
9 >
10 > Here here.
11 >
12 > Regardless of what we agree the pathname should be, it's a good idea.
13 >
14 > I'd also like to see a naming convention of patches established. (crowd
15 > moans: "not more red tape!") OK, perhaps more of a guideline/best
16 > practices than a requirement. Right now I don't believe there is one...
17 > is there? It would be refreshing to look at that patch repository and see
18 > clarity and consistency in naming, as that will be a large listing of
19 > files.
20
21 I believe the current, albeit unwritten, rule is to name the patch as
22 ${P}-name.patch just to make them easier to locate. As for the large
23 listing, that is very doubtful, as this is just temporary holding until
24 the patches hit the distfiles mirrors. No patch would survive longer
25 than 7 days in this "holding pen" before it would be removed in favor of
26 our distfiles mirrors. This would also mean making tarballs out of all
27 patches, as vapier mentioned earlier, to keep there from being any
28 ASCII/Binary download problems.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
33 Games - Developer
34 Gentoo Linux