From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mac/xmms-mac licence issue
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:47:28
1 On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 19:35 -0800, Bret Towe wrote:
2 > On 12/24/05, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:17:05 -0800 Bret Towe <magnade@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > | On 12/24/05, Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o> wrote:
5 > > | > This isn't politics, but copyright infringement on top of a
6 > > | > ridiculous license (when you want to see it as one) we had a short
7 > > | > discussion¹ about several months ago.
8 > > |
9 > > | im sorry i fail to see how copyright infringement or a ridiculous
10 > > | licence matters when commiting a ebuild to portage just pick a
11 > > | licence if thats the issue warn the user and leave it at that
12 > >
13 > > Would you like us to add the Windows XP source code to the tree with
14 > > LICENSE="gpl-2" as well?
15 >
16 > whats the point i cant get the same crap from /dev/random
17 >
18 > sarcasm aside considering its just an ebuild that points to the source
19 > which could be not hosted on gentoo mirrors and the LICENCE bit
20 > is to notify the user ahead of time what the licence is and,
21 > assuming the functionality was there, allow said user to ignore
22 > all applications that use that licence type but since that isnt there
23 > it could be anything and it doesnt really matter now does it?
24
25 Read my last e-mail, it is a question of culpability do to the
26 facilitation of an illegal act, a crime in and of itself, nothing more,
27 nothing less. Sure we wouldn't be shipping the actual source, but what
28 we would be doing is facilitating your use of said source, which is
29 *illegal*.
32 Daniel Ostrow
33 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
34 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}