From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: small cleanup of flag-o-matic.eclass
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:54:10
1 On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:07:37 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 >
6 > > I think it'd be better to lock the removal with a new EAPI for
7 > > overlays / downstreams.
8 >
9 > That sounds like complete overkill here. There's a deprecation warning
10 > in place since five years, so people had plenty of time to update
11 > their ebuilds. Also the corresponding has_m32() was removed long ago.
12 >
13 > Or do you have any concrete evidence that has_m64 is still used?
14
15 Nope. It is just that it is part of an API that we export and, since
16 we have easy means to drop it properly, why not doing so ? Esp. since
17 dropping it "improperly" doesn't seem to bring any advantage.
20 The 5 years deprecation is irrelevant here: With C libraries, you
21 deprecate a symbol/function for a few years then bump soname when
22 dropping it. The equivalent here is removing it in a new EAPI after a
23 deprecation period.