From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: small cleanup of flag-o-matic.eclass
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:40:20
1 >>>>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2
3 >> Or do you have any concrete evidence that has_m64 is still used?
4
5 > Nope. It is just that it is part of an API that we export and, since
6 > we have easy means to drop it properly, why not doing so ? Esp. since
7 > dropping it "improperly" doesn't seem to bring any advantage.
8
9 But we don't have such means. Moving it into an EAPI conditional means
10 that we don't drop it but keep the code forever (and even add more
11 complexity).
12
13 > The 5 years deprecation is irrelevant here: With C libraries, you
14 > deprecate a symbol/function for a few years then bump soname when
15 > dropping it. The equivalent here is removing it in a new EAPI after
16 > a deprecation period.
17
18 That's not equivalent. For C libraries there are releases and the code
19 gets actually removed.
20
21 Anyway, I don't care enough to waste my time on anything more complex
22 than the patch in my original posting. Let the eclass keep its stale
23 code then.
24
25 Ulrich