From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@×××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new herd: theology
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 09:59:26
1 Le Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:25:46 -0700,
2 Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> a écrit :
3
4 > Nathan Smith wrote:
5 > > On 4/28/07, Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Josh Sled wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> > If that's the case, might not "humanities" be a better name?
9 > >>
10 > >> s/theology/humanities/ sounds good. +1 from me.
11 > >>
12 > >> Rémi
13 > >> --
14 > >> gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
15 > >>
16 > >>
17 > >
18 > > Indeed. Even if we wanted a herd specific to religion, "theology" is
19 > > not the best choice since I've yet to conceive of how a program can do
20 > > theology. Certain types of programs can inform one's theology
21 > > (textual studies programs based on SWORD are a good example of this),
22 > > but the same programs have various other uses. Humanities is a good
23 > > enough description.
26 > It would only be called "humanities" if it was also trying to include
27 > gramps (geneology) with the other 7 packages which are explicitly
28 > religious in nature. As beandog has already said, gramps has been
29 > removed from the herd. religion or theology is clearly the most
30 > appropriate category of the remaining packages. There's no need to
31 > rename the herd to "humanities" just because some folks are
32 > uncomfortable with topics and packages relating to religion.
33 >
34 > Think about your local library (Dewey decimal system) -- you don't find
35 > Bible study guides in the humanities/sociology (300s, 400s, 600s, 800s
36 > and possibly 900s (history))...you find it in 100s and 200s. The
37 > sections on "religion and philosophy". the remaining 7 packages are
38 > clearly religious in nature. Don't try to label them anything else, just
39 > because you ain't comfortable with it or don't like 'em.
42 I agree with you. And genealogy is somewhere in the sciences or human sciences
43 section.
44
45 Dominique
46 --