From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new herd: theology
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:28:29
1 Nathan Smith wrote:
2 > On 4/28/07, Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Josh Sled wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > If that's the case, might not "humanities" be a better name?
6 >>
7 >> s/theology/humanities/ sounds good. +1 from me.
8 >>
9 >> Rémi
10 >> --
11 >> gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
15 > Indeed. Even if we wanted a herd specific to religion, "theology" is
16 > not the best choice since I've yet to conceive of how a program can do
17 > theology. Certain types of programs can inform one's theology
18 > (textual studies programs based on SWORD are a good example of this),
19 > but the same programs have various other uses. Humanities is a good
20 > enough description.
23 It would only be called "humanities" if it was also trying to include
24 gramps (geneology) with the other 7 packages which are explicitly
25 religious in nature. As beandog has already said, gramps has been
26 removed from the herd. religion or theology is clearly the most
27 appropriate category of the remaining packages. There's no need to
28 rename the herd to "humanities" just because some folks are
29 uncomfortable with topics and packages relating to religion.
30
31 Think about your local library (Dewey decimal system) -- you don't find
32 Bible study guides in the humanities/sociology (300s, 400s, 600s, 800s
33 and possibly 900s (history))...you find it in 100s and 200s. The
34 sections on "religion and philosophy". the remaining 7 packages are
35 clearly religious in nature. Don't try to label them anything else, just
36 because you ain't comfortable with it or don't like 'em.
37
38 At least, that's my interpretation of most of the replies to this thread
39 so far.