From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:52:58
1 On Monday 05 September 2005 05:11, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > I'd be more worried about the impact on users. From a user's point of
3 > view, x86 is a fast-moving arch, where you can normally find an up to
4 > date package, and where most of the major packages are actively and well
5 > maintained by the package maintainers. The introduction of the x86 arch
6 > team will, at some point, turn the x86 arch team into a bottleneck (just
7 > like all the other arch teams already are), and the experience for our
8 > users will change. Our challenge as a project is make sure that the
9 > benefits of the x86 team outweigh the negatives in the right places, so
10 > that we don't lose our users in the process.
11
12 Somewhere in the previous thread, I read the (seemingly sarcastic)
13 suggestion that all non-arch devs start working in overlays. This would
14 seem to be a very good idea if the overlays could be made easily available
15 via gensync.
16
17 Having general ebuild devs work in overlays (perhaps shared overlays per
18 herd?) rather the main tree would seem to be better for at least two
19 reasons:
20
21 * "Proper" arch testing by arch-devs (Dunno if this is valid, but other's
22 are bringing it up in this thread, so... ;)
23 * Users would select what areas in which the pace should be fast. This has
24 the added benefit that mix of arch/~arch bugs that slip through a all
25 ~arch system would be picked up a lot more.
28 Jason Stubbs