From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:30:19
1 On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 14:16 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > * Having bodies on x86@g.o is just the starting point. The
3 > more difficult part will be convincing people that it is in their
4 > best interests to do things this way. Similarly, what do we do with
5 > devs who refuse? All of those issues still remain to be worked out.
6
7 Depends on how many refuse I guess ;-) There doesn't seem to be much
8 sign of any opposition to the concept so far. We have an elected
9 council now; if the council approves the plan, and devs refuse to follow
10 it, the devs should resign or be ejected. Otherwise, what's the
11 point? :)
12
13 I'd be more worried about the impact on users. From a user's point of
14 view, x86 is a fast-moving arch, where you can normally find an up to
15 date package, and where most of the major packages are actively and well
16 maintained by the package maintainers. The introduction of the x86 arch
17 team will, at some point, turn the x86 arch team into a bottleneck (just
18 like all the other arch teams already are), and the experience for our
19 users will change. Our challenge as a project is make sure that the
20 benefits of the x86 team outweigh the negatives in the right places, so
21 that we don't lose our users in the process.
22
23 If the introduction of an x86 arch team results in a lot of pain for our
24 users, it's going to hurt us as a project, and reduce our standing in
25 the wider community.
26
27 Your GLEP currently doesn't cover this risk, or provide a robust plan
28 for mitigating it :(
29
30 Best regards,
31 Stu
32 --
33 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
34 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
35 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
36
37 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
38 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C