From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:58:48
1 On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:11:03 +0100 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Depends on how many refuse I guess ;-) There doesn't seem to be much
4 | sign of any opposition to the concept so far.
5
6 Yeah, foser's on holiday. Good time to push the GLEP through.
7
8 | We have an elected council now; if the council approves the plan, and
9 | devs refuse to follow it, the devs should resign or be ejected.
10 | Otherwise, what's the point? :)
11
12 Good. Does this mean I can start pushing for UTF-8 again?
13
14 | I'd be more worried about the impact on users. From a user's point of
15 | view, x86 is a fast-moving arch, where you can normally find an up to
16 | date package, and where most of the major packages are actively and
17 | well maintained by the package maintainers. The introduction of the
18 | x86 arch team will, at some point, turn the x86 arch team into a
19 | bottleneck (just like all the other arch teams already are)
20
21 The only reason certain arch teams are considered a bottleneck is
22 because they do real testing. As opposed to x86 or ppc, where packages
23 which won't even unpack get marked stable...
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm