From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:19:19
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote: [Sun Sep 04 2005, 01:41:41PM CDT]
2 > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:37:11 -0500 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | There will be a considerable one-time cost involved in establishing a
5 > | robust x86 arch team.
6 >
7 > Justify this please. If there is a cost associated, the details of this
8 > cost should be provided.
9
10 Fair enough. I'm rather hoping that's something those who will be
11 opposed to this idea will help we flesh out, but here's a couple of
12 obvious ones:
13
14 * Although x86 arch recruitment is currently underway, I suspect that
15 we will need notably more devs to be x86 arch devs than we currently
16 have signed up. (I don't know how many arch devs amd64 have, but I
17 assume a similar number would be needed.) I assume that the x86 will
18 want non-dev arch-testers as well, and all of that will have to be
19 set up.
20 * Having bodies on x86@g.o is just the starting point. The
21 more difficult part will be convincing people that it is in their
22 best interests to do things this way. Similarly, what do we do with
23 devs who refuse? All of those issues still remain to be worked out.
24
25 -g2boojum-
26 --
27 Grant Goodyear
28 Gentoo Developer
29 g2boojum@g.o
30 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
31 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76