From: splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: strange gentoo shutdown sequence
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:25:12
1 On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 05:59:25PM +0200, Sven K?hler wrote:
2 > >I don't know; I don't use RHL or RHEL. However, I suspect they work just
3 > >as Gentoo does. init(8) first signals the processes in its process group,
4 > >so you'll see:
5 > >
6 > >INIT: Switching to runlevel 0
7 > >INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
8 > >INIT: Sending processes the KILL signal
9 > >
10 > >on the console. Then init runs the RHL shutdown scripts, the final one of
11 > >which probably sends all processes SIGTERM and SIGKILL, just like Gentoo's
12 > >/etc/init.d/halt.sh does.
13 >
14 > No, you first see the init-scripts shutting down all the services, and
15 > than you see the TERM/KILL stuff.
16
17 *shrug* Maybe they kludged init so they wouldn't get support calls asking
18 why processes were being killed before the shutdown scripts ran.
19
20 The point is that there's nothing technically wrong with the way Gentoo
21 does it now.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list