From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: example conversion of gentoo-x86 current deps to unified dependencies
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:01:26
1 Ben de Groot posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:22:06 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 16 September 2012 21:15, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 >> So... basically, people are already doing this manually with their own
6 >> intermediate vars.
7 >
8 > And this works fine, so it doesn't warrant a cosmetic change.
9
10 @ferringb:
11
12 yngwin has a point that I've not seen addressed.
13
14 What /is/ wrong with the whole CDEPEND intermediate var idea? It seems
15 to work and /I/ don't know of any problems with it (and it would appear,
16 neither does yngwin), yet you talk about it as if there's something wrong
17 with it.
18
19 And while we're at it, do DEPEND="$RDEPEND ..." style solutions have the
20 same problems (or lack thereof)?
21
22 FWIW I personally like the whole single-var idea, and CERTAINLY
23 appreciate the various statistical cache savings, etc. If we were
24 starting from scratch now, I'd definitely favor the single var approach.
25 But the combined developer mental cost of having to learn the new method
26 and then maintain a working understanding of both over some longer period
27 is nothing to sneeze at, and I'm not entirely convinced that it's worth
28 that cost, even assuming a doubling of the number of dependency types
29 with a lot of commonality between them, and the added benefit a single
30 deps var would have in that case.
31
32 And the case for a single deps var isn't being helped by the implication
33 that there's something wrong with both the intermediate var and copying
34 var methods, without ever saying what that "wrong" might be, in the face
35 of the experience of many that those existing methods "just work". So if
36 there's something wrong with them, let's get it out there where people
37 can see it. And if there isn't, please eliminate the noise of that
38 implication from the argument.
39
40 Thanks. =:^)
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman