From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: example conversion of gentoo-x86 current deps to unified dependencies
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:10:36
1 On 09/19/2012 06:59 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Ben de Groot posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:22:06 +0800 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On 16 September 2012 21:15, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> So... basically, people are already doing this manually with their own
7 >>> intermediate vars.
8 >>
9 >> And this works fine, so it doesn't warrant a cosmetic change.
10 >
11 > @ferringb:
12 >
13 > yngwin has a point that I've not seen addressed.
14 >
15 > What /is/ wrong with the whole CDEPEND intermediate var idea? It seems
16 > to work and /I/ don't know of any problems with it (and it would appear,
17 > neither does yngwin), yet you talk about it as if there's something wrong
18 > with it.
19 >
20 > And while we're at it, do DEPEND="$RDEPEND ..." style solutions have the
21 > same problems (or lack thereof)?
22
23 The problem appears as we introduce more DEPEND variables (which is what
24 prompted the proposal, IIRC). If we have ADEPEND, BDEPEND, CDEPEND, and
25 DDEPEND, and there's only some (i.e. not total) sharing going on then
26 the COMMON_DEPEND pattern starts to fall apart. You potentially need,
27
28 AB_DEPEND
29 AC_DEPEND
30 AD_DEPEND
31 BC_DEPEND
32 BD_DEPEND
33 CD_DEPEND
34 ABC_DEPEND
35 ABD_DEPEND
36 ACD_DEPEND
37 BCD_DEPEND
38 ABCD_DEPEND (COMMON_DEPEND)
39
40 This obviously gets worse as more DEPEND vars are introduced.