From: Dane Smith <c1pher@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rejecting unsigned commits
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:47:45
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 03/25/2011 05:44 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 >>> * The key should be signed by some central instance for automated
6 >>> validity check.
7 >>>
8 >>> Here things get hairy. How about having recruiter/infra team sign a dev's
9 >>> key on completion of the recruitment process? Just a first thought...
10 >>
11 >> I think this is an important requirement however it's quite difficult
12 >> to conduct reliably. A normal keysigning process usually requires
13 >> knowing one personally (and perhaps verifying fingerprints over a
14 >> phone with voice verification), seeing one's ID personally and the
15 >> like. This is probably unfeasible in the Gentoo development
16 >> environment (I'm not a dev, though, so I'm just guessing).
17 >
18 > Well, as long as the signed UID is the specific "Gentoo address UID", this
19 > should be no problem, since...
20 >
21 > * the signature proves the key belongs to the e-mail address, nothing else
22 > * the e-mail address is given to the owner of the key during recruitment
23 >
24 > Meaning nobody is certifying something that he/she does not know already by
25 > definition.
26 >
27 > Please point out any thinkos... :)
30 This is 100% correct. We are not attempting to verify identity. Whether
31 or not my name is Dane Smith is a moot point. All that matters is that I
32 am the person that the Gentoo recruiters granted access to.
33
34 I cannot stress how important some of this is. It's bad if a binary
35 distro doesn't sign their code, but in some ways it's even worse for us.
36 An ebuild can do most anything. If someone were to want to insert some
37 nastiness into say, openssl, all they have to do is hijack an rsync
38 mirror, insert their patch, change the ebuild a smidge, and run and
39 hide. And no one would be any the wiser. The only difference is that
40 unlike a binary distro where a user can't verify anything (easily), at
41 least one of ours can always look at the ebuilds / patches.
42
43 (Not to mention they could also hack their nastiness into the openssl
44 tarball, change the manifest, and then run and hide. Same effect, no
45 notice at the ebuild level.)
46
47 For those who got bored at line two it all comes down to:
48
49 Sign. Your. STUFF!
50
51 Your friendly neighborhood paranoid,
52
53 - --
54 Dane Smith (c1pher)
55 Gentoo Linux Developer -- QA / Crypto / Sunrise / x86
56 RSA Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x0C2E1531&op=index