From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rejecting unsigned commits
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:45:08
1 > > * The key should be signed by some central instance for automated
2 > > validity check.
3 > >
4 > > Here things get hairy. How about having recruiter/infra team sign a dev's
5 > > key on completion of the recruitment process? Just a first thought...
6 >
7 > I think this is an important requirement however it's quite difficult
8 > to conduct reliably. A normal keysigning process usually requires
9 > knowing one personally (and perhaps verifying fingerprints over a
10 > phone with voice verification), seeing one's ID personally and the
11 > like. This is probably unfeasible in the Gentoo development
12 > environment (I'm not a dev, though, so I'm just guessing).
13
14 Well, as long as the signed UID is the specific "Gentoo address UID", this
15 should be no problem, since...
16
17 * the signature proves the key belongs to the e-mail address, nothing else
18 * the e-mail address is given to the owner of the key during recruitment
19
20 Meaning nobody is certifying something that he/she does not know already by
21 definition.
22
23 Please point out any thinkos... :)
27 Andreas K. Huettel