From: Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rejecting unsigned commits
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:12:23
1 Andreas K. Huettel dixit (2011-03-25, 09:53):
2
3 > > Do you want to reject signed commits if
4 > > - keys are not publicly available [1]
5 >
6 > Yes, since that defies the purpose of the signature.
7 >
8 > > - signatures are from expired keys [2]
9 >
10 > Yes if the signature was made after expiration. (Dont know if that is even
11 > possible.)
12 > No if the signature was made while the key was valid. (Otherwise our whole
13 > portage tree would time out at some point.)
14 >
15 > > - keys are revoked [3]
16 >
17 > Yes.
18 >
19 > > - keys are not listed in userinfo.xml (current or former devs) [4]
20 >
21 > Yes.
22 > However, for the former devs we might need an extra list to prevent
23 > "expiration on retirement", and treat the keys as if they expired on
24 > retirement date (compare above).
25 >
26 > Does that make sense?
27 >
28 > Of course now we can add additional requirements:
29 >
30 > * The key must have an userid that refers to an official Gentoo e-mail
31 > address. E.g. dilfridge@g.o
32 >
33 > Very important and easily implemented.
34 >
35 > * The userid should have some specific "default string" in its comment field,
36 > like "Gentoo manifest signing key".
37 >
38 > Not so important but also easily implemented.
39 >
40 > * The key should be signed by some central instance for automated validity
41 > check.
42 >
43 > Here things get hairy. How about having recruiter/infra team sign a dev's key
44 > on completion of the recruitment process? Just a first thought...
45
46 I think this is an important requirement however it's quite difficult
47 to conduct reliably. A normal keysigning process usually requires
48 knowing one personally (and perhaps verifying fingerprints over a
49 phone with voice verification), seeing one's ID personally and the
50 like. This is probably unfeasible in the Gentoo development
51 environment (I'm not a dev, though, so I'm just guessing).
52
53 As a weaker but possibly useful workaround Gentoo Infra could just
54 publish a signed list of trusted developer keys for any given moment.
55
56 > * The central instance should be able to reliably revoke a key.
57 >
58 > Add a revocation list in a portage tree directory? Or is this just shooting
59 > yourself into the foot backwards through the eye?
60
61 Revoking a signature on a key is possible (unless a key has been
62 nrsigned) and makes sense (assuming those who verify update all
63 relevant keys).
66 [a]